Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Watch yo self-- Facebook Privacy

I have awkward moments, in fact, I have awkward moments to spare.
I blurt out things I shouldn't.
I do first, think later.
But not on Facebook.
With the career I've decided for myself, networking is key. Working with social media sites is something I do, not only daily, but hourly. So I try to keep as clean as I can with my networking sites, like Facebook. Sure, some of my pictures aren't the shining example of professionalism, but I don't post self-incriminating content either.

The point of this blog is to just give a friendly reminder that this new Facebook Timeline will keep you on your toes. It's an interactive, visual representation of you as a person. So, when you start adding Apps into it, there's a lot more room to let something personal slip through for the entire Facebook world to see, causing some awkwardness you didn't intend on facing.

What you're watching, listening to and reading will automatically go to your Timeline if you don't pay attention to the apps you use or your settings. Going to read an article about the newest pop star boob-slippage uh-oh with pics included? Maybe a study on how women can prevent yeast infections? Or maybe an article about E.D.? These may be extreme examples, but you get my point--you don't want to share EVERYTHING.

The Timeline, in my opinion, is a wonderful breath of fresh air for Facebook. However, if you don't watch your settings and your app usage carefully, you could be facing some pretty awkward Fb moments in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment