Friday, November 18, 2011

Guest Blog Weekend: Blimey Cow!

**For all of you Blimey Cow lovers, here's a recent interview with Josh (April 30, 2013 to be exact!) over at Almost There! Check it out! Go here!**

Hello, everyone! My name is Josh Taylor. My brother, Jordan, and I started an online comedic video series in the fall of 2005, which we dubbed "Blimey Cow."

We produced about a hundred videos in the first couple of years, before taking a break as I got busy with college, and Jordan got busy finishing high school- slowly coming to a halt as the years past. This last year, however, we slowly began creating new videos, and by the time September rolled around, we were back uploading a new video every Monday.

Though we do skits on occasion, our main focus is on our "Messy Monday" video series which started back in August. Every Monday, we upload a new video wherein Jordan speaks directly to the camera, while he talks about a variety of topics. Facebook , going to the movies, church... you name it.

We have had a ton of fun creating new content each week, but have found it also incredibly challenging to keep the content fresh, fun, and engaging when we are never more than a week from your next deadline.

Social Spaz has asked that that we keep a sort of journal this weekend concerning the creative process surrounding the creation of a Messy Monday video. We don't have a budget. We have a few lights, a camera, and a bedroom. It's definitely not a "professional" production, but it's a creative process we complete every single week now. Tonight, we write. Tomorrow, we shoot. Sunday, we edit.

PRE-PRODUCTION
Prep for the next Monday's video usually starts on the preceding Tuesday. My wife, Kelli, and I begin brainstorming different topics that could be covered. Throughout the week, as I have conversations with other people, ideas, one liners, or anecdotes may come to mind. I keep a big file of various punch lines on a variety of topics to be used when the week, topic, and joke are right. Lord willing, by Thursday we have decided on a topic, and at least a couple of the big laugh lines for the episode- the lines that we hope people will remember long after watching the video, and about which they will hopefully tell their friends. Usually we come up with those laugh lines first before coming to a conclusion about whether or not a topic or idea is viable. Sometimes we come up with one joke, and then make an entire video to work around that joke. I hate wasting a good joke.

The topic this week, as decided yesterday, is going to be church youth groups. I was informed then that a youth group in Clarksville, Tennessee had used one of our recent videos as part of the lesson for the evening. I posted this fun news to Blimey Cow's Facebook fan page, and then quipped, "I guess next week's video is going to be about boys and girls sitting too close to each other..."

It was meant as a joke, but the idea took flight in my head. In short order, I was writing out the beginning of this tentative script. I visited my brother at the college he is attending that afternoon and related what I had written thus far, and he and I came up with more material, which I came home and wrote up. Sharing what was done of the script with my wife later garnered even more ideas.

As it stands, the script stands at about 35% done. Depending on the week, mood, and topic, sometimes it actually helps to have some leeway concerning the content, when it comes to actually shooting the video tomorrow. Sometimes having the entire thing completely done, and then merely tweaked as we shoot, works best. And sometimes having only certain jokes and just a basic idea of the direction, content, and pacing works just as well. It really just depends. And 10+ weeks into this, I can't say that I have entirely figured out exactly how to know which is best, and when. All I know is that Monday's come really, really quickly these days... and most weeks, it feels like we escape with a solid video by the skin of our teeth.

Back to writing for now. I'll let you know how shooting went, tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I love Blimey Cow. I actually just found them on YouTube and can't stop watching them. Particularly love the Youth Group, Homeschooling and Going To The Movies ones. Loved getting this insight into production too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your homeschooling video was by far the best! You need to be in youth ministry somewhere... no I take that back you should be speaking to youth groups everywhere. You are very talented keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May your tribe (and videos!) increase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are great! I love your videos. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dubstep rocks! lookimup

    ReplyDelete