Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Google+ Group Video Chat

I did an article way back on Google+ and how it wouldn't survive going directly against the powerhouse that is Facebook.
Then I did an article that retracted my former opinion of G+ having no hope and said that the idea of starting over with a clean slate was enough to keep the site alive.
Now, I want to say something else about dear ole Google+.
Their group video chat aka "Hangouts" #cangetit
One night my about-to-be-roommate and I wanted to get a group video chat going on Facebook because we LOVE FB's one-on-one chat (thank you Skype for joining forces) however, my favorite social media site doesn't have a legit group video chat feature. Sure, you can Google (which is ironic) to find a few FB apps that let you do just that but, let me tell you, we tried about three and they were all horrible.
So what's an Internet junkie going to do? We all went to Google+ and partook in their hangouts.
Beautiful--just beautiful. No echo. No lag. We have five people chatting strong. There's also a nifty feature where you can "Mute" your screen and it blacks out and turns the volume off of your personal chat screen. HOWEVER, you can still see and hear your online companions which can be kind of funny depending on the situation.

So folks, if you are an avid Facebooker and hate G+ with a loyal vengeance, just know aside from the fresh start appeal, the group video chat definitely #cangetit

No comments:

Post a Comment