Saturday, September 24, 2011

Shouldn't I have a real job by now?!

My name is Tyler Anne Snell and I'm starting my own business.
Let me begin by telling you that it is one of the scariest decisions I've made and it definitely was not the first either.

Starting my own business was actually my back-up plan. Kind of backwards, huh? I graduated and was certain I'd have a job in no time. I'd like to say that this was my confidence talking and not the state of the job market.

Let my break down my experience during the months after graduation:
Month 1
No call backs.
I wasn't phased, instead I was almost pleased as I lived in my apartment while my lease ran out, hanging out with my college friends who were taking summer courses.
Month 2
No call backs, but I was applying for two to three jobs a day.
Unexpected (mostly) free trip to New York, where I decided that I like greenery and front and backyards so I began to search for jobs in places where those were attainable features.
Stress Level: Definitely rising.
Month 3
One call back...that didn't work out.
Stress Level: Very frustrated--doubting self.
Month 4
Job offer, but the pay wasn't enough to allow me to move TO the job.
Stress Level: Oh. My. Gosh. Freaking out. Looking for jobs online in my spare time (which was a lot considering I was JOBLESS) and thinking about my life as a failure as I feel asleep each night. I just wanted to burst into companies' offices and yell "I'm awesome! You need me!"
End of Month 4
Then something wonderful happened--I met a woman who said I had drive and the skills to make my own business and to do it well. She even went as far to become my first client.
I am currently her social media consultant where I create and maintain her online presence while connecting her to a larger social network. And, let me tell you--I love it. Since then my clientele has boomed.

So, taking my prior experiences, I decided to make this idea into a business.
My two biggest inspirations?
Crazy Love Studios' owners Chelsea and Travis are a duo of creative genius who in the past year became a trio with a cute little baby girl. They started their wonderful business and are amazing at it. They went for gold and are doing great. Check them out!
Then there's Tara Hunt, a marketing genius that when asked for her resume just says "Google me." She started out small and now is a powerhouse in the industry.
With these people to look up to and a passion for people and social media, I will be starting my own business and blogging updates about the ups and (hopefully few) downs!

3 comments:

  1. You and I have things in common... except you are actually going about with a lot more pizaz....haha... You have a wonderful personality and a awesome work ethic... Your work speaks volumes of your skills... I can't wait to work with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention! Creative minds feed off other creative minds so no matter where you go in live Chelsea and I will always be a tweet/fb chat/call away. #doit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your new adventure. Remember Emerson's words...what lies before us or behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

    ReplyDelete