Tuesday, September 27, 2011

5 Blogging Mistakes--The fastest way to turn me off

Just because I have a blog, doesn't mean I know everything about the etiquette that should be used when posting to the world. However, I do have my opinions on the blogging faux pas that will keep me from never returning to your blog.
Remember, just because there are free blogging services, doesn't mean you should abuse them.

Top 5 Blogging Mistakes

1. Design Explosions
This may be because of my design degree, but if my eyes have to continually try to readjust to your blog's design, then maybe you should back-off just a bit. I strongly believe that "less is more" when it comes to outfitting your blog. If you have a rainbow of colors going all different directions with a transparent post background, I will forget why I even came to your page but I WILL remember not to come back. I'm all for personal customization on your online diary or journal, but if you want the world to respect what you have to say, don't made a design that has us thinking you're a 12-year-old tween on Myspace.


2. "What it is hoe"
Grammar/punctuation is king.
This isn't texting with your Blackberry or iPhone, and even if that's where you ARE blogging from pretend it's not. You don't have to be a grammar genius for my tastes, but at least have the basics. I won't follow your train of thought if you don't stop it from time to time with a period or line/paragraph break. I also have a hard time weeding through your Internet speak when your grammar is lacking. "What it is, hoe?" is the example my lovely roommate suggested for this annoyance. Now, I'm not a grammar Nazi but if you are constantly doing things like this, I will leave your blog.

3. Background music...
...should be avoided at all times. If you must have it, be kind to your readers and have a playlist that they can start themselves. I don't know about everyone else, but the times I read the most blogs are late at night/early morning. Occasionally I'll forget my earbuds and every time this happens my volume is turned up to the max. I don't plan for these things to happen, but I especially don't plan for you to have "Who Let the Dogs Out" blaring on your page...where I can't turn it off. So please, be creative and find a good music playlist plug-in or embed it within your design.

4. Lack of sharing
A few years ago I might not have had this on my list but now, when Facebook and Twitter are at the height of social media popularity, I want you to have buttons that allow me to share your post with them. The blogs I usually read are interesting and informative, so sharing them with my network is something I thoroughly enjoy. If you don't want your post finding its way into the online world, then why have a blog in the first place? Remember, sharing is caring!

5. Pop-Ups
Don't do this unless you're hard on money and some advertiser has offered a large quantity to have their product pop-up and distract me from your post. It seriously detracts from your blog in my eyes. I'm all okay for sidebar ads or ones beneath your posts (because I have them) but when they try to assault you Ring-girl style, I'm not a fan at all.

These are five ways to really get me to never visit your site again. I'm sure there are other deterrents out there, but these stick in my brain the most. So please, please think out your blogging choices because if you have great content, it would be a shame to detract from it.

1 comment: