Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros & Cons: Starting Your Own Business

I knew starting my own business would most likely be stressful and time consuming. Being the only worker AND owner gives me, not only a full plate, but two filled plates with a desert platter in tow. I may not have to wake up at 6 a.m. and wear work appropriate clothes, but the pressure most people stop feeling when they leave work never completely leaves me.

So far the pros & cons of starting your own business:
I'm starting with cons first because I like to end on a good note!

Cons

  • I am constantly running around. When something needs to be done I can't contract out to someone else or ask my employee to handle it--it's my baby and I have to take care of it on my own. If multiple problems arise at once then I have to make a priorities list and work my way through the muddle.
  • Time management is a tricky one with my specific business. I am knee-deep in social media sites all day and into the night plus creating/editing client websites. I can't just work an 8-5 and be done with it. Social media and the people who love it don't go to sleep after 5 so either do I. I have been on my computer so much that I start to get headaches from staring at the screen. The more clients I have, the more time consuming it becomes and if I don't manage my time correctly I end up hurting myself rather than helping the clients to the full of my potential. 
  • Second opinions are hard to come by when it's only little ole me working. In college and my jobs since I have had another pair of eyes and ears to be able to bounce ideas off of when I hit the occasional brain freeze and innovative rut. Now, I have to just walk away for a bit then come back and use myself as the second opinion. (Not to say my first opinion is always crappy!)
  • I don't need to really spell out the fact that I pay for everything I need to use. It's not exactly a con more like a necessary evil.
Pros
  • It's my baby. All the cons in the world can't take that one glorious fact away from me. At the beginning and end of the day, all the work I've done is the work I love and the work I decided to make into a career. No one is above me, dictating the direction to go in. It's just me, working my butt off to succeed. When I hear friends and families complain about not liking their jobs, I know that even if I have a few cons to rant about that underneath it all I am in love with my business. 
I suppose this is a bit unbalanced but, even as I was sitting here trying to think of more pros and more cons, I am confident I made the correct choice in saying "Screw you job market!" and pursuing something I love. 
For all of those business owners out there, let me take a moment to pat you on the back! You've realized a need in society and are answering it in your own way. Keeping kicking ass!

(Note: The next post will be about my personal workday schedule of MADNESS!)

1 comment:

  1. If you ever need a fresh pair of eyes for a project, super let me know!

    ReplyDelete