Tuesday, October 25, 2011

If I could use my mind to explode things...

...it would be this line of code: <ul class="sub" style="width:185px;">

I can only work for one of my clients after 10 p.m. (this is the only time their schedule allows it) and so when everyone starts dropping off to bed I'm still awake and just getting into the swing of things. Tonight (rather LAST night) I started working on their website in Wordpress.

Now, I have the biggest love/hate relationship with Wordpress. It can produce some of the most beautiful and efficient websites and yet it is as temperamental as a hormonal teenager--you say/type one wrong thing and it's game over.

But half of my clients are Wordpressers so I suck it up and make it work.
However, tonight I about had a meltdown. Around 2 a.m. I decided to call it quits and turn in, so I went ahead and made my back ups but then started to do one last thing.

I should have walked away!

I was editing some html when my computer crashed! Initially I wasn't upset, just annoyed. I had made backups and hadn't saved the edited code yet. However, I was wrong! Somehow my computer refused to save my back up (yes, I'm passing the blame on to the computer) and DID save the code. The code that uncompleted was wrong! At this point I was nervous but wrote the rest of the code anyways, but once completed it still wasn't working!

So from around 2:30 a.m. to 4:10 a.m. I edited, deleted, rewrote and created so many different forms of html to solve my problem. Finally, tucked away in the back of my brain, I pulled <ul class="sub" style="width:185px;"> after realizing that it was missing. Problem = Fixed.

The moral of the story? Back it up! And CHECK to make sure it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment