Saturday, November 5, 2011

iMenstruate

For the people that know me, know that I have a very thin filter between my brain and my mouth when it comes to my period. Sure, it isn't the best topic to bring up at the dinner table but when I'm around people I'm comfortable with, I won't extend the courtesy to pretend I'm not in pain from cramping or my patience level is at normal. But, to my friends, I'm the young woman that has a fascination with periods.

After watching the f8 keynote about the new Facebook soon to come and how it would get users more connected (like Spotify lets your friends know what you're listening to WHEN you're listening to it) I started thinking how funny it would be to have an app for women that tracked their menstrual cycle.

Megan just started her period!
Rachel has three more days until she's home free!
Tammy is currently cramping, bloated and fatigued.
Hilary suggests Tampax Pearls over Playtex Sport.

Yes, I understand this would be a tad bit excessive, but I decided to Google to see if any phone apps out there catered to tracking women's "time of the month."

Geeksugar.com did an article on the Period Tracker App for iPhones. This App tracks when you start, when you stop, when you're ovulating and fertile and when you get and can get intimate.

"The Period Tracker App costs $2 and is the ultimate menstrual mentor. You enter in your info, and it tracks your cycles, letting you keep notes about your activities and well being, all the while using twee 'lil hearts and flowers to denote important days (to be fair, "ovulation" would be too long to fit in those boxes)."



This is actually one of many apps out there that allow you to get in the know about your relative Aunt Flo. (That kind of rhymed.) My Pregnancy Baby (don't let the name scare you) posted a blog about the best of the best apps out there if you are serious about downloading a nifty tracker. Most are free and have passwords so not just anyone can pick up your phone and know if you're bleeding or not (was that too much?).

Things like this make me very excited and a bit nervous about the future of technology and social networking. What other little tricks like this will be used in a few years?


No comments:

Post a Comment