Friday, November 11, 2011

Guest Blog: Everyone's a Reality Star

Second guest blog! Going strong!

Guest Blogger: Katy Williams


As I’m watching The Maury Show on this chilly winter morning, I’m asking myself,

“Who are these people that deem it appropriate to air their exceptionally dirty laundry on public television like this?”

Well, it might not be as uncommon as I thought.

Facebook statuses have evolved into an outlet for enraged, depressed and attention-seeking people. Out of my 900 friends, I’m sure my newsfeed has at least four statuses about someone’s personal problems as I’m writing this. Most of the time, it’s passive aggressive and to an ambiguous person, but every so often it’s very specific and juicy.

Jackpot!!

Breaking up with significant others, feuds between friends, and family issues galore! It blows my mind when people do this. What planet do these people live on where they think that it’s not only acceptable to do this, but that people genuinely care?

The few times I have paid any attention to it was because my friends and I were discussing it in a private message like it was a VH1 Reality Show. It’s like we’re the audience on Maury who scream and antagonize unsympathetically the entire time. (To all of you who write statuses like this, just know, we screenshot the most hilarious ones; therefore, your dirty laundry will live in infamy until the long awaited day each of our computers crash and we forgot to back-up our files.)

At first, I was embarrassed for people like this, but it seems like whenever I say anything, I’m the one who gets attacked. I’ve decided that I’m no longer going to try to intervene with this circus of emotions on a public forum. I’m just going to pop some popcorn and let myself be entertained. The best things in life really are free!

(except the popcorn)

No comments:

Post a Comment