Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guest Blog Weekend: Blimey Cow Part 2!

Make sure to read part one here.

PRODUCTION

Today we shot the yet-to-be-titled video. Before we got started, I printed out the script as I had it, and Jordan and I and the few others that came to watch and help with the video, brainstormed more ideas to help flesh out the whole video. By the time we were done, we'd cut some stuff I'd written yesterday, and then doubled the size of the final product. Honestly, I think it was the most fruitful writing session we've ever conducted that immediately preceded shooting.

So then we began shooting. And the thing about it is- it's hard to understand the pacing and mood until we're actually shooting. It's probably just a product of my own inadequacy, but I just have to be in the middle of actually making the video happen before I can fully understand what it needs to look like. This leads to even more changes to the script (i.e. scraping entire bits that just don't fit once we're actually shooting).

Stressful as it is to find the right mood and pacing, shooting is probably the most fun I have all week. It's just always a really good time. We do it so often now that we've gotten a really nice rhythm. And Jordan and I are able to track with each other- he knows what I'm looking for from a specific line usually without my even having to say anything.

Plus, letting Jordan loose is great too. A lot of times, we have specific lines that need to be said specific ways to set up for the next joke, but other times, I like to just let Jordan know what the basic idea for the next section is, and then hit record. Some of my favorite stuff that we get is the stuff Jordan improvises on the spot. In fact, a lot of stuff for Monday's video was my just letting Jordan run loose with an idea. The balance, I think, is key, and we're getting more comfortable with it with each passing week.

No comments:

Post a Comment