Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guest Blog Weekend: Blimey Cow Part 3!

Make sure to read part one here and then part two here!

POST-PRODUCTION

Whew! I just hit "render," and this week's Messy Monday video is DONE!

Editing all the footage is honestly probably the toughest part of the whole process. It's definitely the most time consuming. I think a lot of people would be surprised to learn that for just a short two and a half minute video (Like this week's episode), it normally takes somewhere between 4-6 hours to edit.

Culling through all the footage, picking out the best takes, and placing them in order in the timeline takes a good couple of hours at the least. When that is finished, I have a workable "first cut" that will never see the light of day. It exists for maybe 30 minutes while I give my mind a break, so that I can return and objectively look at what I have so far, and what additional cuts I need to make or alternate takes I need to insert. Once I've made those new changes, the second cut is starting to look more like the final product that you see on YouTube. Still not quite there, but we're getting close.

At this point, I usually let my wife look at it and ask her if there are any flow or mood problems that she sees. I ask her questions like, "Does Jordan's vocal inflection or tone shift too dramatically between these two lines? Does anything look to abrupt? Are there any jokes that just aren't landing like we wanted them to?"

Honestly probably the hardest part is parting with jokes that just didn't work. I'd say on average, from first cut to final product, I've shaved off about 45 seconds to a minute of video. A lot of times it's just because the good take we got just doesn't work with the rest of the video, or is too abrupt, or just doesn't sound right with the rest of his thought. The biggest lesson I'm learning about editing while doing this every single week is to cut mercilessly. The shorter and more concise the video is, the better. Never let more than about 8 seconds go by without another laugh line.

Once all of that is done, I watch the video a few times all the way through just to make sure all the cuts are tight, so that the video flows seamlessly. And then I'm finally done. It feels good to have this done on a Sunday night! Usually we shoot the video tonight, and I wake up early in the morning on Monday to start editing. Usually by about 2-3PM the video is finally done and about ready to be posted.

Tomorrow, I'll link you guys to the finished product, entitled "Messy Mondays: The Truth about Youth Groups". We really hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment