Thursday, December 1, 2011

Buffy: Not just a slayer, but the new Facebook phone?

Yes, you read right. For the past few weeks reports have been dancing around the Internet that Facebook is currently working on creating a phone that has been given the nickname of "Buffy" after the sassy vampire slayer on the WB.

As far as the rumor goes, Facebook has hired HTC, the cell phone manufacturer, to create a smartphone that specifically will revolve around the social networking power house. The article that appeared on AllThingsD.com on Nov. 21, claimed that this will be a modified version of the Android phone and should be coming out in the next 12 to 18 months.

The phone, once again still rumored, will run HTML5--the latest languages for structuring and showing internet content. This will greatly integrate different FB features into the basic platform of the phone. Buffy will sync messages, photos and contacts between your phone and the site.

Facebook has decline to comment directly or even acknowledge that said phone does exist or will exist soon.

“Our mobile strategy is simple: We think every mobile device is better if it is deeply social,”  a spokesperson told AllThingsD.” We’re working across the entire mobile industry; with operators, hardware manufacturers, OS providers and application developers to bring powerful social experiences to more people around the world.”

So...Facebook is making a phone (we'll pretend we know for sure) but will you get it?

I'll tell you what, I don't think I will. I am a hardcore Facebook user and fan but I don't need to purchase a new phone just for Facebook. I can just use my smartphone now and get on to check my notifications and browse my newsfeed.

I'm all for investing in a phone for convenience and efficiency, just not for one or two less clicks to get to my wall or blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment