Tuesday, May 15, 2012

You had me at Crime Fighting Network

For those of you who don't personally know me, I want to tell you very quickly about my fast-paced romance with the show Castle. A few weeks ago I was bored and wanted to get into a new show. I had heard about Castle but thought better of watching it. Until, one fateful night, I broke down and watched the first episode.
Honey(s), I watched all four seasons within two weeks.

Since then I have been utterly obsessed with crime. Not in the ways of committing them, but in the ways of attempting to solve them. Now, I haven't taken my skills (the term used loosely of course) to the streets but I did manage to figure out the who done it in a few mysteries I recently finished.

So, when I read about Morgan Wright wanting to use social media to solve crimes, you better believe I wanted to know more.

The gist:

Morgan Wright, a man who spent 18 years in law enforcement and currently Chief Crime Fighter at Crowdsourced Investigations, will launch an initiative that uses the power of the crowd to catch criminals. Wright says (according to THIS Mashable article) he was partially inspired by a Mashable article about how commenters on a blog were able to help find a car involved in a fatal hit and run accident.

"He thinks that our social networking addiction is creating what can ultimately be a vast crime fighting network, by connecting people (witnesses) to the locations, dates, times and photos that are instrumental in solving crimes."

Guys...VAST CRIME FIGHTING NETWORK.

Now, I'm always online it seems and I can back the idea that social media can be used in some situations to help sort things out. Of course there's going to probably be those fanatics who will "patrol" the site and probably harass a few people in the process, but name me a social media site that doesn't have those people lurking around!

Either way, I applaud this idea and stand behind Morgan Wright.
For more info watch the video on the project here and check out Wright's Twitter and Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kind words and blog post! Stay tuned - launching soon.

    Morgan Wright

    ReplyDelete