Thursday, March 8, 2012

Awkward Baker: S'more Brownies

I've figured it out. I am impatient and impulsive--two things that makes baking rather messy. This recipe (courtesy Food Network Magazine) was once again straightforward and yet I hit some bumps.

First you need to make Fudgy Brownies. As stated in the recipe you need to melt your chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Then it says, off heat to whisk in 3/4 cup each light brown sugar and sugar. Then whisk in 4 eggs, once at a time, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Then stir in 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Okay, I know I'm not down with baker's lingo but I feel like the phrase "off heat" is weird. Does that mean not on the oven or turn the oven off and still have it on top? Well, I took it as mix the items in a different bowl, my trusty glass bowl that is.

This is where my impatience and impulsiveness comes in. Instead of taking the sweet time to mix everything like the directions said, I threw everything in my glass bowl and got my mixer. Did I mention that it asked for vanilla and I put in vanilla extract? Is that okay? We'll find out.

So I mixed everything and threw down my graham crackers as a very rickety foundation to this lovely S'more creation, then put everything in the oven for 30 min. Like an excited child, when it was finished, I piled the marshmellows and chocolate chips high and placed it back into the oven for 10 min.

I must say, despite my mixing aversion and vanilla issue, it tastes like an awesome brownie S'more!

Below are the recipes to follow.

Fudgy Brownies 
Melt 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and 1 stick butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring. Off the heat, whisk in 3/4 cup each light brown sugar and granulated sugar; cool slightly. Whisk in 4 eggs, one at a time, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread in the pan; bake 45 minutes

Then...

S'mores Brownies 
Make Fudgy Brownies (No. 11), lining the pan with a layer of graham crackers before adding the batter. Bake 35 minutes; top with mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips and bake 10 more minutes.

Finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment